As I said in yesterdays article on properly understanding and teaching Kata I promised an article as to how the brain fuctions and why this understanding of Kata is so critical to self defense success.
Here is an article I wrote years ago on the RAS of the brain. This information applies to all aspect of life, not just self defense.
Reticular Activating System
The RAS or Reticular Activating System is a part of the brain believed to be linked to motivation and success in humans. The RAS is a network of nerve fibers that originates in the medulla oblongata (brain stem area) and proceeds up through the midbrain into the neocortex, the place where thought is processed.
The purpose of the RAS is to detect new and different stimuli. When something new or different is perceived in the environment, the RAS alerts the brain to possible danger by causing an ”arousal state.” If a stimulus, such as a sound, is repetitive in nature, the RAS will calm the brain and causes it to enter various peaceful states, depending upon the nature of the stimulus.
So why is this so very important? Being part of our subconscious mind we have no direct control over it. However with some work and training, we can program this area of the mind to help us become successful in life.
How often do we get in our own way when it comes to success? You lay out a plan, only to work hard and fail in the end. I had so many people tell me that they don’t set goals because they know they will not achieve them. This is where the RAS comes in.
The reason for our failure is deeply linked and rooted to our subconscious mind. On this level, even though consciously we wanted to succeed, our subconscious mind expected us to fail, so we do.
Let me explain how this works in real life. Let’s say you decide you want to buy a Corvette. You are suddenly very interested in this car. You see more and more of these cars on the road, on magazine covers etc. Are there really more corvettes on the road? No, your RAS is at work seeing the ones that are there. The RAS is like your guidance system. If you are consciously looking for success, but your subconscious expects failure, you will find it!
Are you aware that your conscious mind only controls 17% of what you actually do? The other 83% is handled by your subconscious mind. Take a look at those figures. 17% of your conscious thoughts and actions are now going to handle your path to success, while the other 83%, the part that believes you will fail, will control the rest of your path to success and your life. If you are counting on your conscious mind to be in control your life, without reprogramming your subconscious mind, you are fighting a losing battle.
So how do you change this vicious cycle of that is controlling your life?
1) You must become 100%, absolutely sure, without a doubt, crystal clear about your wants, goals, needs and desires.
2) You must use your imagination and VISUALIZE these goals as complete! Your imagination is your greatest asset in life!
3) Write these goals down and review them each and every day! No breaks!
4) Record your own voice talking about these goals and dreams as if they already exist! Listen to them before you go to sleep at night.
Remember that everything that exists in this world was created TWICE. The first time was in the MIND.
for success in self defense it is critical you understand how the mind works, how the mind learns. There are ways to train to get there. Kata does hold “a key” when understood fully!
The above is a excerpt from my upcoming new eBook on the Psychology Of self Defense. You can read more about this book from the link below.