Are there Secrets Locked Inside you Kata? – Kyusho Jitsu Interpretations


Are there Secrets Locked Inside your Kata? The is a lot of mysticism over the years saying that some Kata have secrets combat moves, even “death touch” locked inside their movement.

Is this true? The answer is Yes and No…. Let me explain.

First we have to look at how the brain works. Talking of consciousness  we divide the brain into 2 parts, the conscious mind which science guesses is about 10 percent, and the subconscious which is the other 90 percent. The person you are, the things you believe, the way you act in life is based on the learning of the subconscious mind. It is that programming that determines how your life goes.

Now something that is very interesting. The brain cannot tell the difference between reality, and something that is vividly imagined.  This is what makes a “super star” athlete like a Wayne Gretsky. At night, during the day he “dreamed” of hockey, playing hockey, being the best, winning. So he did. Because all that dreaming was the same as playing in real life.

So now we can look at Kata with this idea in mind. The student goes along and practices hard, but what is he or she thinking about? Usually the next move. Or if they are a competitor, doing it well enough to win.

They are NOT thinking about combat. In fact many of the movements are not even considered to be a combat item.  They are more worried about he correct form, than the application of the movement. And much of the time, the application they may think of is very superficial!

Now lets look at a simple “block.” The real truth is that work is not accurate. As an example if I am throwing a “down block” to ward off an attackers front kick what am I doing. The word block would mean I am trying to “stop” this kick which I cannot do. The kick will happen. Look block up in a dictionary. What I am really doing is attacking the leg! If that is my purpose I will be far more successful with the movement compared to they to “block” something.

The definition of the word matters to the brain. Block is a word that will prevent many from using it. Not everyone, but many. Let face it there are hard wired movements in our brains to defend against attack and protect the head.

Now there are many who teach the meaning of the movements in Kata, which is important, especially from a traditional stand point. But, this will not program the subconscious in most cases.  I do teach different applications within movement myself, but there needs to be more to it!

Students need to be taught to see the movements themselves. This causes those “ah ha” moments, then the subconscious mind accepts the information of the movement and it will happen in REAL life when needed.

With that in mind my son Scott and I are putting together a new video series on how to TEACH students to see the application of the movement in the Kata. Now it does not matter if you are a school owner / teacher for student, this new video series will take you understanding of your systems Kata to a new level.

Take a look at this video.


For more information on this new series, release dates etc, visit the link below!

Have a great weekend!

About the Author Grand Master Art

Grand Master Art Mason is a professional full time martial artists and Kyusho Jitsu teacher. He is available for seminars and study groups. He resides in Brasov Romania

follow me on:

Free Kyusho Jitsu Mini Course

Enroll Today in Our Free Video Kyusho Jitsu Mini Course! 1 Months of FREE Kyusho Jitsu Lessons! All NEW!